Home Clubs
Clubs PDF Print E-mail
Written by Administrator   
Friday, 22 August 2008 10:43
  • Kalkara Regatta Club
  • The Malta Labour Party Club
  • The Nationalist Party Club
  • Bocci Club
  • Rinella Tennis Club
  • St. Joseph Band Club
  • St. Joseph Nursery Club
  • Sacred Family Club
  • Kalkara Regatta Club

    The Kalkara Regatta Club was founded in 1957. In 1972 it moved to the present premises, since the boats were previously stored in Marina street. The scope of our club is to give training to rowers and participate in the regatta competitions held on the 8th September and the other on the 31st March (Freedom Day). Other summer events are organized by the club on youth level. Kalkara Regatta Club won the shield 7 times namely in 1959,1960,1963,1964,1965,1969,1971. The biggest success achieved was in 1969 when the Kalkara Regatta Club did not only win 4 national first place honours, but also set up 4 new records. The present committee consists of the following members:-

    President - Charles Cohen
    Secretary - Domnic Camilleri
    Treasurer - Christopher Cohen
    Members - Emmanuel Cutajar and John Farrugia

    Back To Top

    The Malta Labour Party Club

    Since early after the Second World War a group of youths gathered to form a Committee to take care of the interests of members. This took place at the Xewkija Victory Club. In the 1956 Mr Ganni Meilaq moved the club to Rinella Street. The main aim of the Committee was to organize political activities. Mr Salvu Zammit was the first President of this Committee while Mr Paul Ciantar was the first Secretary. Some time later, the Labour brigade was formed and it consisted of 70 boys and girls. In the 1964, the Committee which was led by Mr Paul Ciantar opened a new Club in Triq ix-Xatt where it is still found until today. Nowadays it is still called the Labour Centre, and its aim is to help all those that requests their service or the help of the Committee.

    Back To Top

    The Nationalist Party Club

    The Nationalist Party Club in Kalkara is situated at, 65 Archbishop Gonzi Square. The first offical local committee was set up in 1955. The objectives of this philanthropic, educational as well as sporting events. The Present local committee is made up of the following members:

    President - Joe Sultana
    Secretary - Robert Grech
    Treasurer - Leo Spiteri

    Members:
    Chris and Tracy Farrugia
    Edwin Vassallo
    Albert Borg
    Victor Caruana
    Antida Cohen
    Carmen Stivala
    Melvin Aguis
    Ray DeGiovanni
    Maria Sultana
    Carmel Caccopardo
    Anthony Fardell

    Back To Top

    Bocci Club

    "Il-Loghba tal- Bocci" is very popular among the Maltese People.(In 1976 some players started playing "Il-Bocci" every evening). The interest in the game grew so much following the effort made by the Sport Minister of that time to develope Bocci Pitch at every Locality. As for Kalkara the Pitch is situated at the part known as "ix-Xewkija". To day with a lot of contributions from all participants and players the place had been enlarged and well equipped. On Saturday 7th May 1977 was officially introduced and for the first time they had their general meeting and committee.

    President - Mr.C.Abela
    Secretary - Mr. G. Tonna
    Cashier - Mr. J. Mallan

    Members:
    J.Gerada, R.Darmanin, G.Camilleri, L.Meilaq, C.Portelli and A.Carabott.

    Back To Top

    Rinella Tennis Club

    Rinella Tennis Club was founded by a small group of people. The main objective for the setting up of the club was to make children and adults take part in the game by providing them with the training skills and other activities. The Rinella Tennis Club was founded on 6th June 1980 when the first general meeting was held. The first Committee was formed Mr. Joseph Cachia as the President.

    Mr. Harry Borg as the secretary
    Mrs. Mary Borg was the treasurer
    Mr. Anthony Borg was the Vice President
    Members of the club are Mrs. Carmen Borg, Mrs. Bice Borg, Mr. Romeo Busuttil, Mr. Joe Sultana and Mr. Willie Borg.

    Back To Top

    St. Joseph Band Club

    The outdoor celebrations during the feast of St. Joseph, the patron saint of Kalkara, especially on the eve of the feast, have a history that dates before the official establishment of the St. Joseph Band Club. In 1985 the club's committee entrusted with finding new premises for the club found a small place which could have served this purpose and also host the many residents who would actively work on the celebrations of the feast. In these premises at no 7, Capuchins Street, Kalkara, the St. Joseph Band Club was officially registered on the 4th July 1987, taking the name of the patron saint of the village. The then Minister for Education Dr. Ugo Mifsud Bonnici presided over the ceremony. The premises were blessed by the then parish priest Fr. Guzepp Farrugia. Member of Parliament Joe Mizzi presented the first banner. The first president was George Micallef while the first musical director was Maestro John Pace.

    One of the most important events was the acquisition of the new club premises that befits the society. The contract for the new building in Archbishop Gonzi Place was signed on the 18th July 1990. The major event in the annual calendar is the band club's participation in various occasions, especially feasts in towns and villages around the country. The band club takes part in the festivities in honour of Kalkara's patron saint, held on the second Sunday in July. The band also plays on two other occasions as part of the processions with statues, one representing the apparition of the Angel to St. Joseph, held on the 19th March, and the statue of the Risen Christ on Easter Sunday. The statues were donated in 1992 and 1994 respectively. Worthy of mention is the demonstration held with the statue of Victorious Malta on the even of the feast of St. Joseph. On the day the band club entertains the supporters in the main street of the village.

    Back To Top

    St. Joseph Nursery Club

    There are 44 Football Nurseries in Malta – one of which is in Kalkara. It was on Mr. Paul Grima’s initiative after consulting Mr. Michael Cohen, Mayor, when the Local Council agreed to finance the Nursery Football Club in Kalkara with Mr. Grima as founder given the job to establish a team who would work in this club. This happened after a meeting between the Mayor and the Youth Football Association Committee together with Fr. Hilary Tagliaferro where it was decided that where there wasn’t a Parent Club and the Local Council accepted, the locality could be a part of the association. There were various meetings between the committee, lots of work was involved to assemble the Kalkara team with Coaches and volunteers ready to help make the nursery move forward in the interest of children.

    Without any doubt the priority on the list was to refurbish the ground in Triq Il-Missjoni Taljana by giving it a new layer of ground. Tournaments and games were organized. Naturally for this association to move forward all help is welcome and since there are no official headquarters the local council offered part of its offices for meetings of the committee and with the help of Mr. Joe Vella any requirements can be presented in front of the local council. All those children between 6 and 13 years of age who would like to sign up can contact a member of the committee and be given more information. Best of luck.

    Back To Top

    Sacred Family Club

    The story of this club goes back to the 1 st of June 1897 when Mr. Carmelo Psaila had come up with the idea of opening a club. Four individuals, Nikol Cachia, Frangisk Xuereb, Patist Borda and Carmelo Psaila himself paid Lm5 each to open the club. It was from this club that various other groups came out – for example, Cricket Club Kalkara and St. Joseph Football Club. Some other billiard players also won various trophies outside of Kalkara. But today, the most notable thing about the club is the orchestra, which was under the direction of Lorenzo Gonzi who was responsible for various works amongst which Marcia Marcia La Sacra Famiglia, written on the 22 nd July 1922 and played for the first time the following year.

    This was the first orchestra in Kalkara. Kalkara was always divided into two main parts as some individuals used to decorate the north part and others used to decorate the south part. The decorations to the north were under the direction of Guzeppi Styles, who was also president of the St. Joseph Football Club – after a while he left to live in the south part. There, it didn’t take long before the first club opened: Circolo Nazionale. In 1924, the St. Joseph statue was readied, a present from the club Ricolo San Giuseppe to the Parish Church. Its worth mentioning that during the war the Sacred Family statue used to be kept in Church.

    The celebrations on Friday increased during the years and also led to the creation of a new Sacred Family statue. In 1980, members decided to change the name from Circolo San Giuseppe to Sacred Family Club. On the 26 th December 1987 the new Sacred Family band was inaugurated by Dr. Ugu Mifsud Bonnici, at that time Minister Of Education, under the direction of Ugo Buhagiar who still occupies this place today. Mr Anthony Ventura who, at the time was President of the club paid for the costs involved.


    Back To Top

Last Updated ( Friday, 22 August 2008 11:22 )
 
Kalkara Local Council